Québec-Musique.com

Forum de discussion des musiciens et musiciennes du Québec

AccueilAccueil  PortailPortail  FAQFAQ  RechercherRechercher  S'enregistrerS'enregistrer  Connexion  

Partagez | 

Scumback speaker / Southbay Ampworks

Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Aller en bas 
AuteurMessage
Lapo
Langue pendue

Instrument : Gibson SG jr / Fender Strat SRV / Gibson Les Paul
Amplification/Effets : Fender Vibrolux Reverb 1967

MessageSujet: Scumback speaker / Southbay Ampworks   Lun 19 Sep 2016, 23:02

Scumback History a écrit:

History of the Scumbacks
I needed a great sounding speaker to go in my amp line. I'm a fan and lover of the old Celestion Pre Rola speaker, after it's been played for several years, and broken in, as the treble tone has mellowed a bit, has a clear high end, full bodied mids and bass response. I wanted that tone for my amps, and so did my clients.

I bought about 300 old Celestions over the course of five years, from 1999 to 2004. By the time I finally bought the last of my "Celestion Collection" in July 2004, I was up to paying about $350 per speaker for the G12H30 55 hz Pre Rola speakers, as these seemed to be the most popular with my clients for their combo amps. I had already collected the complete line of G12M Pre Rola's, and many cone variations of them, as well as the 20 & 25 watt G12M lead and bass cones, plus the 25 & 30 watt G12H30 lead and bass cones.

I quickly realized that finding any steady, reliable supply of these speakers was hopeless, however, so I decided to see about having a custom speaker built. I approached my local Celestion dealer, OCSR (Orange County Speaker Repair), about custom speakers, but they were only interested in getting off the shelf Celestion cones, making a new voice coil for them to my specs, and assembling it. There wasn't going to be any custom voicing of the speaker, doping, suspension, etc.. That meant I'd pretty much have a G12H30 Reissue, or a G12M RI speaker with a custom name. That wasn't the tone I wanted, so I kept looking.

I then did some more research on who could do this, and I contacted Ted Weber with my idea. Ted was receptive to my goal, but I had a twist for him. What I wanted to do was to send him a "perfect' Pre Rola speaker for each model (lead and bass cone), to use as a "tone target" for a brand new recreation of the old tone I wanted. I enlisted the aid of OCSR to help me find it, so I started bringing in my "collection" (we're talking over 100 speakers at that point), and having OCSR test them. Since OCSR has been in business since 1969 doing only speaker sales, repair, & warranty work, they had the necessary expertise, and testing equipment to test the speakers I brought them. I then brought in what I had, and found out how many I had bought had issues under a high wattage load, such as "cone cry", voice coil rub, vibration noise, etc. Roughly 40% of what I bought off of eBay didn't cut it for their ears. After weeding out the known bad ones, we narrowed down the rest of the speakers to categories of:

Good, passes tests as a new speaker
Excellent, passes tests and has superior tone
Perfect, as close to perfect as they'd ever heard

When I got a perfect one, I marked it, and put it on my speaker shelf for safekeeping (boxed, padded, etc.) I made notes of the date code, Txxxx # and the cone code, date, etc. When I found a perfect one, the next thing was to find a "dead one" with the same markings, date code, etc. to within a few weeks, or a month at most. Back to eBay, Recycler listings, private party ads, schmucks who thought they knew speakers, etc. What a nightmare, and pretty expensive, too. I literally spent a small fortune on the R&D samples to send to Ted (approximately 40k over 5 years was the total...I don't recommend it!)

So, you bid on a speaker on eBay and bid up to $150 to get a "blown speaker" I'm sure the seller is figuring I'm nuts. But I only bought it for the dead cone, and the dates that matched the perfect one it paired up to, just to match it up to my "perfect" speaker.

End result? Both speakers had to have original Pulsonic cones in their frames, and one had to sound perfect, one had to be dead for Ted to autopsy, and then recreate.

When I got the first speaker set, a T1217 G12H30 lead cone with a 102 003 Pulsonic lead cone, I sent it to Ted to recreate in August, 2004. He went through a lot of testing and cone swapping, doping techniques and suspension to match that speaker. It took him about 5 months, and he delivered the first (SA12) H75 (G12H30 lead cone recreation) to me, along with my perfect "tone target" to compare it to in last December, 2004. That speaker is the (SA12) H-75.

I put the two new speakers into a 2x12 closed back cab, then pulled out my original 1969 4x12 Marshall Major (1982 straight cab model with original G12H30's) and had five guitar players come over to do an A/B comparison test. After the test, the comments ranged from "it's so close it's ridiculous", and "we're splitting hairs over the differences" to "I think it sounds better than the Pre Rolas".

After that, I sent Ted my other old G12H30 55hz speaker (bass cone model), and an old G12M lead cone Pre Rola from 1971 to recreate. The 55hz H model he finished in January, 2005, what's known as the (SA12)H-55. He finished the 75 hz M model in May 2005, after a lot of testing, and trial and error. That speaker is the (SA12)M75.

So that's pretty much the whole story. I made the speakers for my amps, and they just turned out to be a very popular tone that other players wanted. I have ten 12" models now, and one 10" model. My site is about to be totally redone, so sound files, clips, and all that will be up somewhere around February 1s

Alors avant les scumback était faite conjointement avec Weber. Après la mort de Ted weber la qualité aurait baissé, l'entente ce serrait éfrité et Scumback a décidé de faire les speaker de A à Z. Les nouveaux étant sencé être mieux que l'époque avec Weber.

Ceci étant dit, quelle sont vos avis sur les speaker Scumback ? Comparé a des greenback ou autre modèle époque pré-rola, époque rola, époque celestion actuelle. Sinon des gens on essayer TGS, Tone Tubby, Warehouse, MojoTone... ?

Dernière édition par Lapo le Sam 24 Sep 2016, 11:43, édité 3 fois
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gab-Lapolice/270773126282122
BOB
Grande gueule

Instrument : Gibson
Amplification/Effets : Matamp

MessageSujet: Re: Scumback speaker / Southbay Ampworks   Mer 21 Sep 2016, 01:38

Les scumbacks sont d'excellent speakers mais honnêtement, je n'ai jamais comparé mes H75/H55 avec les originals pre-rola sur lesquels ils ont été cloné.

Pour ce qui est de mon expérience, 4 x "H" dans un 4x12...

Single Coil (strat&tele)= C'était tout simplement la perfection. La meilleur façon de décrire en mots..."crisp" mais "thick".
                                   Peu importe l'ampli (Matamp, Marshall, Orange)

P90 = C'était beaucoup plus "flat"avec les "H" que les greenback du 2x12 Matamp (même que toi). Super définition des cordes (clean et drive).

Humbucker = Tout simplement "too much" sur le "bottom end".

Mon plan de match est de garder un H75 et un H55 et de les installer dans un 2x12 vertical, open back.
Probablement, quelque chose de semblable au cab TwoRock. Ce sera pour aller avec un PWE EH2 Twisted Evil .
À suivre..
Lapo
Langue pendue

MessageSujet: Re: Scumback speaker / Southbay Ampworks   Mer 21 Sep 2016, 12:41

Moi j'ai l'intention de remplacer mes greenback de mon Matamp 2x12 (slate, diagonal, open back) par la combinaison M75/H55 ou greenback rola(donc dans la même ligné qu'un m75)/H55. Il y a énormément de monde qui jumèle un 75Hz de type ''M'' et un 55Hz de type ''H''. Le premier truc qui me surprend dans cette conbinaison c'est le mixte entre speaker à haut rendement (98/99dB) et speaker a faible rendement (97dB). Comme le H55 est plus focaliser low frequence, que je risque de le mettre dans le bas du baffle (donc il va moins être à l'auteur des oreilles) ça devrait être bon. Certain font des mixte aussi avec des V30 et un speaker a faible rendement (medium weight magnet).

Je serait curieux d'avoir des avis entre des M75/H75/H55/M55 et des M75/H75/H55/M55-PVC (paper voice coil specs) et aussi les PVC mais en 65 watt (nomex voice coils) pour savoir la différence de son.

Dernière édition par Lapo le Mer 21 Sep 2016, 22:24, édité 1 fois
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gab-Lapolice/270773126282122
BOB
Grande gueule

Instrument : Gibson
Amplification/Effets : Matamp

MessageSujet: Re: Scumback speaker / Southbay Ampworks   Mer 21 Sep 2016, 16:39

Lapo a écrit:
Le premier truc qui me surprend dans cette conbinaison c'est le mixte entre speaker a haut rendement (99dB) et speaker a faible rendement (97dB). Comme le H55 est plus focaliser low frequence, que je risque de le mettre dans le bas du baffle (donc il va moins être à l'auteur des oreilles) ça devrait être bon. Certain font des mixte aussi avec des V30 et un speaker a faible rendement (medium weight magnet).

Le H55 en bas sera aussi la meilleure option du point de vue "rendement"...
Les cabs Friedman mixent des speakers de 96dB et 100dB. Ça me semble excessif mais je me doute bien qu'ils savent ce qu'ils font.
Je peux facilement imaginer les deux V30 du bas(100dB) se faire un chemin au travers des deux g12m25(96dB) du haut pour se rendre aux oreilles.
sgblues
Langue pendue

Instrument : gibson sg 61,les paul,strat
Amplification/Effets : Marshmallow 50 watt,fender blues jr

MessageSujet: Re: Scumback speaker / Southbay Ampworks   Mer 21 Sep 2016, 17:33

J'ai un M75 depuis 5-6 ans, mixer avec un vieux Celestion M25 dans un 2x12.
J'ai eu un H75 avec le M75 que j'aimais bien, mais je préfère la combinaison M75-M25, j'adore le son du greenback.
BOB a très bien décris le son du H75.
Ça me donne aussi la chance, avec le mix M75-M25 de faire travaille plus les h-ps, car le H75&M75, sont tout les deux des 65 watts, donc 130 watts de power rating au lieu des 90 watts du mix M75-M25.
J'avais peur que ce soit un peu juste avec un 45 watts style plexi, surtout que l'ampli est pas mal à broil, mais jamais eu de problème.
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=983138
Lapo
Langue pendue

MessageSujet: Re: Scumback speaker / Southbay Ampworks   Mer 21 Sep 2016, 23:04

C'est sur que si un mix 100dB et 96dB va bien, un petit mix comme je veux faire de 97dB et 98/99dB c'est rien du tout lol.

sgblues : Tu préfères quand les speakers travaille plus avec un nombre de watt plus serré ? As-tu eu la chance de comparé ton M75 vs ton celestion m25 ?

Sauf que même si tu mixte un 65 watt et un 25 watt, la puissance de l'ampli est tout de même divisé par deux, de façon égale (je suis pas mal sur, qu'on me corrige si je me trompe). Donc groso modo chacun de tes 2 speakers reçois 25 Watt.

Le conseil de Scumback c'est d'avoir minimum le double en puissance donc pour un 45/50 watt il conseillerait un minimum de 90/100watt. Mais bon, la règle général qu'on suggère c'est au mois le nombre de watt de l'ampli. La raison pourquoi scumback suggère le double c'est parce que la puissance délivré d'un ampli de 100 watt a block doit tournée autour de 180 watt.

scumback a écrit:

AMP Wattage!

Please understand one thing. Most amps are rated for their advertised RMS wattage at clean signals. On most amps that's going to be at 3-5 on the volume knob. So your 100 watt Marshall puts out 100 watts at 4. You like to play it at 7, and if your amp is healthy, that's when it puts out 150-180 watts (or more). The guys at Marshall knew what they were doing when they put the "100" logo in the corner of the cabs, but that still meant that you needed two of them to handle a 100 watt amp that put out 180 watts at the levels you set the amp! Get your amp tested for it's real output wattage, no one likes the smell of a melted speaker, OK? Always figure you need twice your RMS wattage in speaker power handling to safely run your amp on 10.

If you get two 30 watt speakers to run with your 50 watt amp, and dime it, they'll be good to go for awhile. I don't know what timeframe "awhile" is. I've safely done it for 2 hours straight, without issues. I have not done that for extended periods, so you want to take that into consideration with all the OD pedals, clean boosts, and so forth that push speakers to raise your level for solos. Use your good old common sense here. Sure, your old small block sounded great and was running awesome at 8000 rpm for "awhile", then the crank, piston, or connecting rod broke, and you weren't mobile anymore. Use the same common sense judgment with choosing your speaker wattage.
sgblues
Langue pendue

Instrument : gibson sg 61,les paul,strat
Amplification/Effets : Marshmallow 50 watt,fender blues jr

MessageSujet: Re: Scumback speaker / Southbay Ampworks   Ven 23 Sep 2016, 14:17

Lapo a écrit:

sgblues : Tu préfères quand les speakers travaille plus avec un nombre de watt plus serré ? As-tu eu la chance de comparé ton M75 vs ton celestion m25 ?
Oui, j'aime faire travailler les h-ps, j'aime le son d'un h-p qui travaille, ça fait parti de l'équation sonore.
Je drive l'ampli pas mal fort(sweet spot à 8-9), par contre j'utilise un atténuateur, et en situation de band, je vais rarement au delà de 5-6 sur l'atténuateur.
Jouer avec ce set-up à full blash, d'après moi, ça serait dangereux.
Pour ce qui est de la différence entre le M75(Scumback) et M25(Celestion).
C'est quand même très apparenté comme son, les mids et les harmoniques du M25 sont un poil plus bright.
Ce mix de h-ps avec l'ampli, ça sonne vraiment à mon goût.
J'avais essayer un Eminence Red Fang(alnico), ça sonne super, je serais curieux d'essayer un Scumnico.
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=983138
Contenu sponsorisé

MessageSujet: Re: Scumback speaker / Southbay Ampworks   

Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Revenir en haut 
Page 1 sur 1